Providing effective eye care and referrals in general practice
Gonzalo Jacome, Senior Staff Clinician, Centre for Eye Health, UNSW discusses how general practitioners can provide effective first-line care for a range of eye conditions. The diagnosis of eye conditions in a telehealth consultation is explored, as well as the identification of ocular emergencies and coordinating care with optometrists in glaucoma management.
Questions asked in the video
- How can a GP effectively diagnose eye conditions in a telehealth consultation? 0:00
- What history-taking questions should a GP ask for an accurate diagnosis? 1:13
- What eye conditions can be effectively managed in general practice? 2:46
- What are some red flags that identify conditions requiring emergency care or referral? 4:12
- What are some considerations when prescribing ocular steroids? 6:59
- What is an effective glaucoma management plan involving the GP and optometrist? 8:29
This activity is sponsored by Optometry Australia.