Clinical Enhancement Module and Allied Health Skills: Youth mental health
|ALM | MHST | Hours: 6 | RACGP C1: 40pts | ACRRM: 30pts|
Click the proceed button that matches your profession.The GP version of this education is accredited with the RACGP, and you will be automatically awarded 40 points when you complete it. This education is designed to take 6 hours to complete. It does not need to be completed in one sitting. You can stop at any time, and progress will be saved. You can find education you have started in your education history.
Click here if you would like to modify your registration details before proceeding.
Welcome to the headspace 6-hour ALM on Youth Mental Health.
This module consists of five sequential parts. Each part will take approximately 1.2 hours to complete:
- Part 1: Engaging and assessing young people*
- Part 2: Laura, aged 14
- Part 3: Laura, now aged 16
- Part 4: Melanie, aged 18
- Part 5: Jamal, aged 20
- Demonstrate increase skill detecting and assessing common mental illnesses by using the necessary abilities to undertake a systematic mental health assessment.
- Discuss the key management features of the common mental illnesses encountered as a general practitioner, and understand implementation and revision of GPMHTP for common mental illnesses.
- Recall the important co-morbidities associated with common mental illnesses and the impacts these co-morbidities may have on young people.
- Understand the importance of consumer and carer psychoeducation by providing access to accurate and consumer –friendly educational materials.
- Discuss how to ensure young people's safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
*In this module, a young person is defined as a person aged between 12 and 25 years.
If you are an Australian GP, you are able to access the additional mental health MBS item numbers (2712, 2713, 2715 and 2717) by completing the Mental Health Skills Training (Modular Pathway), which requires both a Mental Health Skills Training Core Module and a Clinical Enhancement Module to be completed.
Any GP who is not registered with the RACGP or ACRRM and has successfully completed all components of the accredited MHST, can apply to the GPMHSC for individual recognition of learning. Please call (03) 8699 0554 or email the GPMHSC to discuss this further.
The Allied Health Skills version of this activity is endorsed as a CPD activity by the Australian Association of Social Workers.
Educational grant provided by headspace.