Allied Health Professional Skills Module: Youth Mental Health
You need to login to participate in this education.
This education is accredited: RACGP 0 CPD, ACRRM 0 CME PD.
This activity is for allied health professionals. If you are a GP, please proceed to the "GP Clinical Enhancement Module: Youth Mental Health" activity.
Welcome to the headspace AHP Skills Module:Youth Mental Health.
This skills module consists of five sequential parts. Each part will take approximately one hour to complete:
- Part 1: Engaging and assessing young people*
- Part 2: Laura, aged 14
- Part 3: Laura, now aged 16
- Part 4: Melanie, aged 18
- Part 5: Jamal, aged 20
This module is endorsed as a CPD activity by the Australian Association of Social Workers.
- Identify ways to improve the engagement of young people, including the discussion of confidentiality, to improve treatment adherence and long term treatment success.
- Assess, monitor and manage anxiety-related disorders, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder and Psychosis, and utilise a collaborative approach to treatment with the inclusion of all Mental Health Practitioners participating in care, with particular emphasis on the young person’s GP.
- Understand appropriate Mental Health Screening tools to help formulate evidence-based care plans for young people and recognise the impact a mental health disorder diagnosis may have on a young person.
- Discuss how to ensure young people's safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
- Identify and understand the need for family to be involved in the treatment process, including when and how to incorporate these support networks with the permission of the young person.
- Recognise the need to alter treatment to cater for young people from diverse backgrounds, including the need for culturally appropriate care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people and effective engagement techniques for young people who identify as LGBTIQ.
*In this module, a young person is defined as a person aged between 12 and 25 years.
Educational grant provided by headspace.
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health - predisposing activity|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health Part 1|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health Part 2|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health Part 3|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health Part 4|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health Part 5|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health - reinforcing activity|
|AHP Skills Module: Youth Mental Health - evaluation|