Effective use of genomic testing in primary care
Clinical Geneticist Dr Lisa Ewans and Consultant Genetic Counsellor Mary-Anne Youngoutline how genomic testing can be used to improve patient outcomes in primary care, and address some common questions surrounding genomic testing.
Questions asked in the video
- What is genomic testing? 0:04
- What is the utility of genomic testing in the clinic? 0:45
- What are different scenarios that genomic testing might be used throughout the lifetime of patients? 2:13
- How can GPs apply genomic information in general practice? 4:02
- What are the implications of testing for the patient's family? 6:05
- What happens to my patient' information after testing, and who might want access to it? 7:46
- How would a GP address some of the challenges about genomic testing including communicating risk, penetrance and uncertainty? 10:09
- What should GPs convey to patients regarding the limitations of genomic testing? 12:02
This activity is supported by the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics, Garvan Institute of Medical Research.